Saturday, July 14, 2018

#0154 Rampage

Okay! As you will notice this is NOT Command Carrier like was promised last time.

I fully intended to PLAY Command Carrier, it looks like a good game, but then I started to look at the manual for the game. It's 64 pages long. 64 pages of mostly dry instructions on how to play the game. I couldn't do it. I honestly couldn't do it. I tried playing the game WITHOUT the instructions but I couldn't even MOVE the dang carrier so I couldn't' do anything. Props for taking a simulation game to the extreme in terms of complexity, but DANG it was just SO complicated.

So instead we have a game that is NOT on the list. Today we have Rampage, a 1986 game from Midway! I love Midway, they've made some of my favorite arcade games including Robotron 2084.

In this game you play as one of three humans turned into monsters through various fashions George the giant Gorilla, Lizzie the giant iguana/dinosaur/Godzilla thing, and Ralph the giant werewolf. (fun fact, Ralph from Wreck It Ralph was named after Ralph in this game) Your goal is to smash up all the buildings while eating as many people as you can to stay alive.

This game is honestly unique. There really hasn't been a game QUITE like this on the list. Not only is the game unique in that it involves a unique style of platforming and climbing, with an emphasis on destroying the play field, but it's also a game where you actively play as the villain. the people you're tasked to devour are the heroes trying to defend their fair city.

Normally I'm absolutely opposed to plots like this, I simply can't enjoy games where I'm actively rooting against the main character, Rampage seems to pull it off for me. There's just such a cartoonish vibe to it. And this disconnects me from those sorts of feelings. The characters are just having SO much fun causing destruction you can't help but root for them. It's honestly a blast.

unfortunately there's really not much in the way of music, and the controls feel clunky and unpolished. But overall the experience has aged surprisingly well.

If you're in the mood for a game about causing as much destruction as you can while playing as giant monsters, you'll have a good time here.

Next up: Forgotten Worlds

No comments:

Post a Comment