Monday, June 9, 2014

#0007 Adventure

Okay! So from here until Rogue, the following will all be taken from where I originally started posting these on the starmen.net forums. People started asking me to document my progress as I continued this challenge, thus, I started posting short reviews in the “How are you” topic. Eventually the reveiws became longer and longer until I started feeling weird posting them in the topic, and that's when this blog was born, I went back and made reviews for the games I had played, but hadn't yet posted. And from now on, all my reviews will be right here in this blog. With that said what time is it?

Adventure time!

Yep, that’s right, today I played “Adventure” for the Atari 2600. A precursor to pretty much all fantasy or adventure games. You play as a dot, and your goal is to get the “chalice” back to it’s home in the gold castle. To do so, you must navigate mazes, crawl through dark chasms, slay those stupid ducks, find keys to unlock the castles and most frustrating of all, avoid the godamn BAT! That dick will fly around and grab any item it sees and then fly it around the entire map laughing at you attempt to chase it around to get your stupid key back that you worked so hard for!
The game it’s self is surprisingly enjoyable, for something so primitive, they really really added quite a bit. For example, one of the mazes is dark, so you can only see a few feet in all directions, something that video games still use today when you’re exploring dark caves. The map it’s self is surprisingly expansive for something that’s only four kilobytes in size. (For comparison, Just Google’s logo is 8kb). Honestly, if you’re in the mood, I suggest checking it out. Just don’t expect too much and you’ll probably enjoy yourself. Or at the very least throw your joystick at the TV because that STUPID BAT STOLE THE CHALICE THAT YOU FINALLY MANAGED TO LOCATE!

Up next: Astroids!

No comments:

Post a Comment